Making the world a better place now and for future generations.
“[I] wanted to congratulate you on showing leadership in corporate sustainability. With the growth of certifications such as LEED and BOMA BESt, it’s encouraging to see firms like yours champion the essence of these certifications: sustainability.”
– Elliot Hickey, LEED AP, Sustainability Consultant, BLJC
Our extensive field-experience enables us to innovate in terms of solutions that positively address environmental shifts which are affecting our built environment. In 2011, we launched the first Zero Emission maintenance team in Quebec; we currently operate two of these teams in downtown Montreal. These teams use no gas-powered equipment; including 100% electric trucks and lithium-ion battery powered tools. Strathmore was the first in Canada to purchase a commercial-grade electric lawn tractor and our landscape design, horticultural maintenance and snow removal techniques are in alignment with LEED, BOMA BEST and SITES recommendations.
Furthermore, Montreal’s Urban Tree Canopy has been improved significantly by Strathmore’s extensive urban tree planting and Emerald Ash Borer treatment projects. In 2016 alone, Strathmore planted and treated over 5,000 city-owned trees. Additionally, Strathmore has developed a specialization in the design and installation of ornamental vegetable gardens, our form of urban agriculture that gives back to the community.
In office, we strive to design resilient projects using principles of species diversity and native or adapted vegetation all while enabling a durable interplay between living and inert materials. We also work in close collaboration with property managers to assist with credit-compliance towards the certification process of various sustainable building rating systems.
- Adapt the Place Centrale in terms of design and sustainability into a community hub that reflects the centre’s Eat, Shop, Play philosophy as a gathering point for residents of all ages.
- A best in class landscape site-wide; one that is beautiful, diverse and able to thrive with limited irrigation.
- Centropolis trusted in Strathmore’s design-build-maintain expertise for the innovative and experimental 2009 Place Central Greening Initiative by converting existing dated gardens into an ornamental and productive vegetable garden allowing Centropolis to reduce its carbon footprint and do its part in terms of social responsibility by giving the entire harvest from its garden to the Food Bank of Laval.
- A dedicated 5/7 on-site landscape maintenance team allows for irrigation system optimization and improved plant health throughout the site.
- In 2014, Centropolis was awarded the BOMA BEST Platinum Certification, confirming its commitment to sustainable development, a distinction achieved by only some twenty out of the 357 certified buildings in the province.
- Strathmore also won a 2010 and 2015 Landscape Ontario Award of Excellence for its creative and innovative landscape management solutions that transformed Centropolis into a sustainable site as well as an outdoor oasis for everyone who visits the site.
For 15 years, the family business Strathmore has beautified Laval’s outdoor environment… the firm behind the Centropolis gardens and its magnificent ornamental vegetable garden A work of beauty and goodness because its harvests are largely donated to the Volunteer Center & Moisson Laval. A story of family, heart and excellence.
– Translated from: CentropolisMAG
It all starts with a conversation. Reach out to us.
Send us a message about your project below: